Saturday, October 8, 2011

McDonald's being Mcethical?


For many UT students the recent opening of the renovated McDonald's on Cumberland Avenue was a big deal. I know several of my friends who stood in line for a really long time (one told me 6 hours!) just so they could get a year's supply of coupons that gave them one free value meal a week. While I admire my friends' stamina, I just feel a little surprised. Every time I venture into McDonald's to grab a chicken sandwich or a milkshake I feel a little bit on the grosser side when I walk out. Don't get me wrong, I think their food is pretty good if you're in the mood for that kind of thing - but McDonald's is not the food restaurant we think of when we think of healthy, or for that matter sustainable eating. Hopefully a new initiative by McDonald's chains in Europe will help us change that. As of this month, the McDonald's are putting a Marine Stewardship Council label on their Filet-o-Fish sandwiches. The Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) is a "British environmental watchdog" organization and their label means that the fish being used are caught in sustainable ways - ways that won't contribute to overfishing or harm the ocean. The problem with this is that the MSC can certify fisheries or other fishing organizations that may have some unsustainable practices such as bottom trawling. But, the MSC spokeswoman says that in order for the fishery or fishing industry to be certified they have to have an impact on the marine ecosystem that is sustainable. And she says there is hard evidence that the MSC's system works in preserving these ecosystems. Either way, it seems like knowing exactly where the fish for McDonald's sandwiches comes from will be a good move both environmentally and economically for McDonald's. And hopefully, it's something that can move to the United States as well.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15181350

No comments:

Post a Comment